Monday, April 14, 2008

Jerusalem Hymn

Jerusalem Hymn

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

William Blake

*******************

JERUSALEM Banned
Hymn the Dean of Southwark really ought to ban
There’s another hymn ‘not in the glory of God’ the Dean wouldn’t dare to ban, says Theo Hobson

The Dean of Southwark has entered dangerous territory. He has banned the rousing anthem, Jerusalem, from the cathedral's play-list...

When Jerusalem is sung in church, the atmosphere suddenly changes, from quiet meditation to rugby stadium: the blokes who've been mumbling the previous hymns start belting it out. It shows up the half-heartedness of normal hymn-singing. And, of course, the enthusiasm usually has more to do with patriotism and sport than the Gospel of Jesus. No wonder the clergy don't like it...
***************************
It is good that "Jerusalem" should rouse folks who otherwise sleep. Yeshua (Jesus) would be all for it, as He wasn't the pacifist liberals distort Him to be and He was nationalistic, upholding the Law and the Prophets. After all, isn't Yeshua the King of the Jews, the King of British-Israel - soon to return and reign from Jerusalem?

No comments: